Behind the scenes, I have been working steadily on my World Cup Hoodie. I haven’t been updating you on it, because “Yay! I did another 3 inches of stockinette stitch!” is not good blog fodder. But that’s how, quietly and unsuruptitiously, I have outlasted the US team and made it all the way down to the ribbing on the body of the sweater. At least… I had made it that far. Before today.
Can you see it? The problem? The issue? The GLARING HORRIBLE THING? You probably can’t see it in a low-quality picture on the internet, but if you see my sweater in person, you will notice. About a third from the right side of the picture, the yarn color changes drastically. When I last changed to a new ball of yarn, four inches ago, the color changed to a fundamentally different forest green, darker and bluer. I’m sorry for all the italics, but this is mondo upsetting.
It’s easy to understand how this happened. When I bought this yarn, I didn’t know about dyelots, or that it was a thing you should pay attention to. Or if I did, I figured that a mass-produced acrylic yarn would not have an issue with dyelots, being distracted by how cheaply I was getting the yarn. I knit this sweater mostly in a basement and in a flourescently-lit store. But today I was knitting in the sunlight, and I noticed halfway through a row a clear and obvious line of distinction.
When I get home I will have a moment of truth, when I go through the rest of the balls of yarn for this project. In an ideal scenario, the remaining 3 balls of yarn are all in the same dyelot as the first, and I can use the offending odd ball for ribbing 0nly. In this world, all I will have lost is four inches of knitting and the pigment in a few hairs. However, if any of the remaining balls of yarn are in this darker dyelot, I am at least two different kinds of screwed. I will be left with a choice:
1) Throw the whole thing into the fire and watch it melt down into a slag-heap of petroleum byproduct, or
2) Finish it, and never wear it outside in the sunlight.