Frogs visit Stonehenge

A few weeks ago: I saw this: http://berroco.com/knitbits/html/KB300.html

Don’t know what that is? It’s a sock yarn design competition, put on by Berroco, a company that makes yarn. The commission is to make something, anything, out of any kind of Berroco sock yarn.

Now, I’ve designed lots of stuff, and it’s probably my favorite knitty thing to do, but I’ve never entered a competition before. Not knowing how my skills would match up to what they’re looking for, I didn’t want to buy any new yarn just for this. How EVER… It does just happen that I had most of a ball of grey Comfort Sock left over from Carina’s tank top.

My personal challenge was this: using only grey sock yarn, make a pair of socks interesting enough to have a shot in this competition.

I ran all my ideas by Jared. “What does grey evoke for you?” I asked. He replied, “Uh.. rocks.” And from that we came up with the idea of stonehenge socks.

It was really quite a clever idea. The leg of the sock would be knitted horizontally, with garter stitch dolmens on a stockinette background, then I’d pick up for the heel and foot to make a seed stitch background.

I worked on it for ages. I looked up bunches of pictures to make sure I had the dolmens right, so that when you wore them and put your feet together it’d be an accurate depiction of the monument around both legs. I came up with a clever picot edge top. Picking up the heel and foot stitches worked perfectly.

Two weeks later I discovered I had one major problem:

100_2505

I hated it. With the violent passion of a thousand burning suns I hated it. It was really hard to get on the foot because the picot edge was a dumb idea, or at least I shouldn’t have slipped the first stitches. The dolmens looked like dumb little blocks, and it looked really odd to have the foot coming down with vertically worked seed stitch with the horizontally worked seed stitch above it.

So around 1 in the morning, on August 6th, sitting on the floor of the darkened conference room of the “Special Beginnings” birthing center, I finally came to terms with how much I hated the thing, and it was frogged. (The picture above is when the foot is already ripped out; that’s the horizontally worked leg part. Can you make out the little henge? It looks like a meaningless, bland, stupid-looking block, doesn’t it?)

Thankfully, I couldn’t bring myself to rip it out without at least having some idea of what I was going to try instead. After a rather ugly bit of swatching,

100_2545

I cast on the first sock’s ribbing, posing it on a bottle of sparkling cider at the Cades’ wedding (congrats, guys!).

100_2564

I blasted through the sock in two days, partly because it was fairly entertaining, partly because the deadline is August 31st, and partly because I made the sock rather small for fear I would run out of yarn. Brittany acted as small-footed foot-model for sizing purposes last night at YAG (After creating a completely over the top meal for us. This girl is a Force of Nature) and I finished it off this morning.

Then I had a little moment of truth. I really wanted confidence that I would have enough yarn left before I went and cast on the second, and before I made the emotional commitment of acknowledging the project here, so I weighed it against the remainder of the skein.

000_0104

000_0105

I am a dolt. I have so much yarn left that if the recipient happens to have a third foot, I could oblige.

Oh well. I hope that, assuming Berroco sends the project back after they judge it (don’t know if they do), that I can find some very sophisticated person with very small feet.

100_2577

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s