- a strong grandmotherly instinct to knit a soft and cottony baby blanket
- a thought that I had found a use for some lovely purple cotton yarn I had in my stash
- a love for squares
- a thought that it could become a bath blanket
- lots of LOVE!!
Using size 3 needles, I knit 7 strips; each strip has 8 squares. For each of the picture squares, I mostly used charts in Kate Buller’s “Style Your Own Kid’s Knits”. For many of them, I modified the charts since I was working with only knits and purls rather than colors.
It was great fun picking out the pictures that represented family:
- Sheep, rocket, airplanes for Rebecca
- Cross, fleur de lis for Jared/ministry calling of both parents
- Numbers for accountant brother, Hunter
- Sunshine and flower for sister Leah
- Cat and seahorse for sister Bethany
- Train for dad
- Fish for Mum
- Random pictures because I really wanted 20 different ones! They didn’t all represent family.
- Lots of hearts from everyone!!
So far, it’s not a bath blanket, because I couldn’t resolve the problems of seams…..but I might add terry cloth to the back and add a triangular hood on the corner. We’ll see. I decided to get this far, give it to Rebecca, and get her opinion.
Enjoy, Sweetie! Enjoy dear Son-in-law! Enjoy Cyrilla!