A Priest Crafts: S2 E3: Epic Cushions

The world has changed since I started drafting this post, but I’m going to share it anyway. In the name of normal, everyday things to be thankful for, and of cozy homeyness.

If you’re wondering why it’s been so long since I posted a video (since October! Yikes!) It’s because I’ve been working on an epic (for me) weaving and sewing project that I’ve been waiting to share with you. I’ve been recording my work along the way so you could see the whole process at once.

 

Here are some of the resources I talked about in this video:

Now, on to the cushions!

Project details:

  • 5.3 yard warp
  • 132 ends
  • 8 dent reed
  • 16.5” weaving width
  • Warp yarn: odds and ends of mostly-wool, worsted weight yarn
  • Weft yarn: 5 colours of Philosophers Wool 2-ply, changing colours every pick
  • Plain weave, beat to square
  • Fulled in complete wash cycle; hung to dry; pressed

What went well: the size worked out beautifully. I made a sufficiently long warp for sampling, but when I started weaving, I realized I didn’t really need to. If the cushion was a little wide or narrow, it didn’t much matter, and I was confident the fabric would turn out fine. As a result, I have enough extra fabric to make two little placemats! (If they ever return from the Limbo that is my hand sewing basket.)

Here’s a closeup of the selvedges, after sewing. I just love them. To show them off, I sewed the side seams of the pillows in an overlapping fashion. I don’t know what that’s called in sewing-speak.

What I would change: so much went well, I can hardly fuss. But I can tell the choice of an old vinyl tablecloth was not a good bottom. I could have just sewed the weaving to the top of the pillow. If the vinyl starts tearing badly, I’ll come up with an alternative.

I do also need to go back and replace the dental floss with proper waxed nylon artificial sinew. (As soon as I find it.) The floss hasn’t broken yet, but it has stretched!

Being such a long pillow, it would have been smart to stuff the pillow form while it was already in the case. As it was, I couldn’t wrestle them together in at all a satisfactory fashion, and they are still slightly askew – though I was able to hide it mostly with the buttons.

The cushions are lovely. They are very cushy for the backside. They’re tall enough that Dooner doesn’t have to sit on her knees. It’s incredibly gratifying to bring a project like this to completion.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s